The disease, which is mentioned in the Bible, spoils the skin and is spread throughout the body. The ancient Greek doctor Hippocrates wrote about her, but probably confused with psoriasis.
The disease disappeared almost entirely in 18-century continental Europe, but in some parts of Scandinavia and Norway it was still, and in the 19 century it began to spread rapidly throughout the coast of Norway. As people interacted closely between foreigners, Vikings, and international trade, the disease spread rapidly across western Norway. The very first hospital for the sick was built in Norway at St. George 's Hospital in 1350 and 1400. It was outside the city. Zero infected was found in 1873, by the physician Gerhard Armauer Hansen, who worked at this hospital in the city of Bergen. It is currently a leprosy museum.
The disease was transmitted by air-drop route with close contacts of people who were not treated. The risk of infection included residents of areas where water was contaminated, bed linen, and insufficient nutrition. Fortunately, there are currently no such terrible conditions in modern Greece.
However, the disease is now common in tropical countries. In the early 2000s, the WHO reported 91 countries with infections. The proportion of cases in 70% was in India, Burma, Nepal. In England, doctors have found that some of the protein that lives in nature is a vector of this agent.
Scientists suggest Greece was the first Mediterranean country in Europe to become infected with leprosy. It was most likely brought by the Phoenix people at the beginning of the second millennium from the Eastern Mediterranean. New infections in the country appeared the time of military actions of Doria and Xerxes. There were also trips by Alexander of Macedonia, Romans to Assyria, Syria, and Egypt, and many other trips for the independence of Greece. 350 diseases were recorded in 1851. Studying the situation in Greece in 1853, Dr. Kigala concludes that the disease has both hereditary and infectious origins. In 1897, Zambako Pasha 's physician published a textbook, "The Leper Peripatetics of Constantinople."
Zambako should be told a little bit. He was born in the small village of Nejori, which was near Constantinople. In modern times it is Yenikoy, with the Greek name means literally "New Village" or Novena, an area of Istanbul. The doctor studied skin and venereal diseases in Paris with one of the founders of venereology Philip Ricor. In 1860 he married an amateur of bohemian life, which was popular among the Pre-Raphaelites who devoted herself to art, the artist Maria-Terpsifee Cassavetti. She was the daughter of a wealthy English merchant of Greek descent.
The marriage was not happy, so in 1866 his wife went to his mother in London, and he remained in Paris and became French citizenship. In 1872, he was invited to Constantinople to become the personal physician of Sultan Abdul-Hamid II, through which he was given the title of Pasha (general). Based on a study of the old leprosy hotbed in Scutari, in a dispute, the doctor expressed his opinion on hereditary nature. He visited Hios Island and revealed that leprosy affects approximately 15% of the population and that doctors confuse the disease with syphilis. On the recommendation of the Pasha in 1910, the first expedition to the Dodecanese Islands was conducted in 1910, where leprosy was identified. After the doctor 's death in 1914, his major work "Leprosy: on Centuries and Countries" was published.
The general did not miss the opportunity to study eunuchoidism - it is a condition in the body when there is an excessively reduced activity of the genital glands, which causes underdevelopment of the genitals, obesity, and imbalance of the skeleton. This is a clear example of the effect of physiology on behavioral disorders. Zambako devoted his work to eunuchoidism by examining more than 200 eunuchs from the Sultan 's harem.
People were afraid of leprosy and leper, because of them had to carry bells to warn people about their approach. A leprosory appeared on Samos Island in 1904, and a leprosory of St. Panteleimon appeared on Spinalonga Island in August 1904. A special colony was established on this island, where sick people were placed. In 1920, the Greek Law was issued, the isolation of leaders is now mandatory. In 1930, a hospital for leaders was opened in Spinalonga. There were 278 patients in total. In 1853, 628 infected people were identified in nine Cretan villages. To Samos Island, the disease was brought from Lebos along with captive Albanians, who were then left on the orders of Sultan Suleiman the Great.
In 1948, a method of treating leprosy and leprosy in Greece was found empty, and Spinalonga became a landmark. Compiled using Christ Evangelu's text "Leprosy in Greece"
Finally, in 1948, a way was found to treat the leprosy and leprosy of Greece deserted, and the island of Spinalonga became a landmark.